Saturday, June 22, 2013

Day One

This morning I woke up early to head to the National Zoo with my friends. In keeping with the spirit of this challenge, it was some free entertainment. (Well, free in the sense that it's funded by taxpayer dollars.) Before I rushed out the door I whipped up a bowl of oatmeal and topped it with half an apple and a tablespoon of peanut butter, and I drank it with a glass of almond milk.
Estimated meal cost: $0.87

After the zoo, we went for a walk in Rock Creek Park. It was great exercise, the scenery was pretty (although that creek is not the cleanest looking water I've ever seen), and it almost felt like you weren't in the city (if it weren't for the very audible cars on the other side of the trees).
By the time I got home, it was 2:00 and I was definitely ready for some lunch! I made a  turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomato, mayo and mustard and ate it with the other half of the apple from breakfast. I drank lots of water to rehydrate after all that time in the sun. 


Estimated meal cost: $1.05
By the time dinner came around, I was so much in my normal routine that I started eating before I took a picture to show you! The plate was full when I started eating. I made a nice salad of romaine lettuce (I got six hearts for $4 on a buy one get one free sale!), tomato, cucumber, carrots, ham, and a drizzle of balsamic dressing.
Estimated meal cost: $0.75
Day one of the SNAP challenge was filling, delicious, and nutritious! The balance of fruits, vegetables, grains and proteins gave me energy to tackle the day. I guess you could say it was a snap!

No comments:

Post a Comment